From on Tue, 08 Feb 2005 (email updated 10 Sep 2009 and 12 Feb 2010)|
My Ibbotson family tree is on Gencircles which I hopefully will update this week.
I have just visted your page which would have saved me hours of research.
Thomas Ibbotson was a convict (send you details later tonight I am at work at the moment). Elizabeth Barker came out with one child on the Mary 19th October 1831 from London, Have no info on the child. Thomas and Elizabeth Married 19 march 1834. Thomas died 9 august 1907. Elizabeth later married a Thomas Hill on the 26 Aug 1852. Still looking for her death.
I have the following documents for Ibbotson:
Thomas Ibbotson Convict Record and court summary.
Wills of: Alice Jane , Mary Augusta, Henry Thomas, Rebecca Catherine, William George (father) William George (son), John Edward.
Waiting on: Will for Olive Blanche (appledorf) Ibbotson
Gravestone inscriptions for the Ibbotson's buried at Cornelian Bay and a few others hopefully they will be here this week.
After recieving some of the family wills I have managed to put together most however I have a Roy Ibbotson. After doing a search I can not find a birth cert but I did find a war record for a Roy Henry Thomas Ibbotson born 11 May 1902 in Strachan Tasmania.
His place of Enlistment was Caulfield Victoria next of kin Lydia Ibbotson. I am thinking that he is Leslie John's brother as they were both on the same listing as Nephews, and the birth is the same place. Have you his name in your research?
Another will that of William George Ibbotson had a son William George Ibbotson researching he was born about 1860 according to age at death (headstone). He died 18 july 1918. I have the wills of both William George's.
Have you any info on any of these names. I am happy to supply you with any info yo may need.
I am a direct desendant of Thomas Ibbotson my mothers maiden name was Ibbotson.
Family researchers have found Thomas Ibbotson was a convict, came on the Elizabeth (220 male convicts on board)
Depature Port: London / Portsmouth on 18 Oct 1831 and arrived on 15 Feb 1832
Thomas Ibbotson 1807 - 06 Jul 1840 aged 33, wed 29-Oct 1834 to Elizabeth Barker
Elizabeth Ibbotson, adult wed 26-Aug 1852 to Thomas Hill adult at Hobart
1. Henry Thomas Ibbotson 14 Aug 1834 wed Rebecca Kent|
2. William George Ibbotson 03 Sep 1836 wed Ellen Mahoney
3. John Edward Ibbotson 25-Sep 1838 wed Henrietta Rose
4. Elizabeth Ellen Ibbotson 17-May 1840 wed William John Edwards
1. Henry Thomas Ibbotson 14 Aug 1834 - 29 Jul 1923 aged 89, wed 30-Aug 1855 to Rebecca Kent c1835 - 13 Aug 1923 aged 88
1. Ada Ibbotson 18-Jun 1858 wed 19-Mar 1888 to Edwin Inches, 6 chn|
2. Clara Ellen Ibbotson 7-Jun 1861 - 1886 aged 25
3. Mary Augusta Ibbotson 25-Mar 1863 - 17 Sep 1947 aged 84
4. Alice Jane Ibbotson 3-Apr 1866 - 29 Jan 1954 aged 87
5. Ernest Henry Ibbotson 25-Apr 1868 wed 1902 to Maria Mabel Doyle, in Hobart Tas.
6. Arthur John Ibbotson 21-May 1870
6. Arthur John Ibbotson 21 May 1870 wed 4-Feb 1897 to Ada Elizabeth Goldsmith 30 May 1876
1. Cyril Arthur Ibbotson 1897|
2. Leslie John Ibbotson 1899
3. Roy Henry Thomas Ibbotson 1902 - 1957 died at Tocumwal, NSW 24589/1957
3. Archibald Othel Ibbotson 1908 - 1976 wed Doris Newson, 3 daughters
2. William George Ibbotson 3 Sep 1836 - 31 Jul 1907 aged 73, born at Hobart, Tasmania, wed 25-Jul 1868 at Hobart, Tasmania, to Ellen Mahoney 1838 - Nov 1917 born in Hobart, both aged 30. Ellen daughter of Mary Ellen Callahan and Thomas Mahoney
1. William George Ibbotson 1860 - 1918|
1. Elizabeth Kathleen Ibbotson 1863
2. Emma Louisa Ibbotson 19-Jun 1867 - 13-Jan 1869 lived 18 months
3. Madeline Isobel Ibbotson 13-Aug 1870
4. Twin John Tasman Ibbotson 4-Dec 1872 - 26-Jan 1873 lived 6 weeks
5. Twin Herbert Thomas Ibbotson 4-Dec 1872 - 24-Dec 1872 lived 3 weeks
6. Olive Blanche Ibbotson 18-Jul 1874 - 10 May 1952 wed Charles Christopher Appeldorf
7. Frederick Nelson Ibbotson 1881 - 9 Dec 1915
1. Elizabeth Kathleen Ibbotson 1863 wed 30-May 1888 at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia to Richard Dingle 1861, 4 Children
3. Madeline Ibbotson 13-Aug 1870 - before 21 July 1949 aged 78, wed 18-Aug 1892 - Hobart, Tasmania, Australia to Arthur Frank Golding 30 Mar 1870 - 29 Jul 1956 aged 86, son of Alice Sarah Long 1847 and William Henry Golding 1845
1. Alice Madeline Golding 1 Feb 1893 - 24 Nov 1984 wed 20 May 1916 to Ediss Boyed|
2. Dorothy Lillian Golding 15 Sep 1894 - before 15 Jul 1980 wed 3 Apr 1919 to George Francombe
3. Baronia Alice Irene Golding 16 Nov 1895 - before 25 Nov 1969 aged 74
4. Arthur John Golding 2 Jan 1898 - before 25 Jul 1962 wed 6 Oct 1926 to Daphne Cooper
7. Frederick Nelson Ibbotson 1881 - 9 Dec 1915 wed 23 May 1905 to Winifred Melinda Armstrong 12 Jul 1885 - 6 Feb 1945 born in Tasmania daughter of Mary Henness and George Armstrong, moved to NSW about 1907, 5 chn died as infants
1. Winifred Ibbotson 1905-6
2. Julia M Ibbotson 1906|
3. Fredrick William George Ibbotson 1908 - 1909 in NSW
4. Freda P Ibbotson 1910 - 1911 in Redfern
5. Dorothy V Ibbotson 1912 - 1912 in Waterloo NSW
6. John James Ibbotson b. 26 Oct 1913 - 1954 in Redfern, NSW wed 1939 to Gwendolene Joyce, has Descendants
7. Frederick Leo Ibbotson 1914 - 1915 in Canterbury, NSW
8. Laurel Ellen Ibbotson 1916 wed 7005/1933 to John T H Norton
3. John Edward Ibbotson 25 Sep 1838 - 1 Aug 1926 born at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia wed 14-Oct 1867 at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia to Henrietta Rose 1842 - 1924
4. Elizabeth Ellen Ibbotson 17 May 1840 - before 6 Apr 1907, Hobart, Tasmania, wed 14-Sep 1875 at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia to William John Edwards 1840 (both aged 35 when wed).
1. Arthur William Thomas Edwards 1875 wed 1899 - Hobart, Tasmania, Australia to Louisa Jane Wale|
2. Percival John Leslie Edwards 1877
3. Reginald Eugene Edward Edwards 1880
4. Madalene Gertrude M Edwards 1882
5. Cecil Chester Edwards 1885
From Thu, 10 Feb 2005 (email updated 10 Sep 2009)|
York Assizes Court Cases
ID: 4678 Surname: Ibbotson Forename: Thomas Age: 26 Place of origin : Clayton West Date: 20 March 1830
November 5th 1829.
Charles Redgwick (32) and Thomas Ibbotson (26), late of Clayton in the West riding, charged upon the oath of George Lee, of Clayton aforesaid, farmer, with having in the night of 3rd day of November last, together with several other persons at present unknown, feloniously and burglarously broken and entered the dwelling house of the said George Lee, at Clayton aforesaid, and stolen, taken and carried away therefrom thirty shillings in silver coin, his property.
Both not guilty - to be discharged.
ID: 4864 Surname: Ibbotson Forename: Thomas Age:27 Date: 19 March 1831
February 11th 1831. Thomas Ibbotson (27) charged upon oath for that he the said Thomas Ibbotson on the 6th day February last at Warmfield, in the West-riding, one horse, of the goods and chattels of Francis Milthorpe, feloniously did steal, take and carry away.
Guilty of cattle stealing. Judgement of death entered on record.
Here are all Thomas Ibbotson's details:
Convict Number: 38841
Ship Name: Elizabeth (220 male convicts on board)
Depature Port: London / Portsmouth
Depature Date: 18 Oct 1831
Arrival Port: Tasmania??
Arrivial Date: 14 Feb 1832
Conduct record: Con31/24
4 Sep 1832 - Neglect of Duty and Disobedience of orders recieved additional 3 months
31 Dec 1833 - Strong Suspicion of having made a false statement connected with robbery of mail. Case Dismissed.
7 Sept 1835 - Misconduct stating that he was privy to an Embezzlement when such was not the case. Dismissed
24 august 1838 - Gross Misconduct Case Dismissed.
Indent Description list: CON23/2, CON18/6, muster roll
Appropriation List: MM33/6, CON27/5
CON23/2 CON 18/6 MM33/6 CON27/6
Trade: Saddle and Harness maker
Native Place: Cawthorne York
Trial Place; York Assizes
Trial Date: 19 March 1831
Transpoted for: Cattle Stealing
Prior Convictions: For House Breaking tried and acquitted
Gaol Report: Imprisoned before (connected?) with desperate gang, bad disposition
Hulk Report: Once?
height: 5 ft 9.5 inches
Eyes: Light Grey
His HEADSTONE at ST DAVIDS BURIAL GROUND Hobart, Tasmania reads:
[ JOHN ALIAS THOMAS IBBOTSON]
To the Memory of
THOMAS JOHN IBBOTSON
Who Departed this life 6th July 1840
Aged 33 years
Leaving a widow and 4 young
children to lament his loss
Forgive blest shade the tributary tear
Which mourns thy exit from a world like this
Forgive the wish that would keep thee here
And stayed thy progress to the realms of bliss
As soon as I transcipe the wills etc I will send them on this is as much as I have Transcribed so far.
With as much new info as I can.